Monday, October 24, 2011

Taming the Tongue

I'm not one to gossip a lot.  I guess it's because I've endured the recieving end of gossip and really hate the way it makes you feel.  In Sunday school yesterday we read the passage in James that speaks on gossip.  While this was not the heart of the lesson, God really laid this verse upon my heart and convicted me.  It made me realize that I should not praise the Lord with one breath and curse another God-created human in another.  All my words should glorify God.  And let's be honest, who needs to gossip.  There are much better things to discuss! 

James 3:5-11 states "the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.  All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and sea creatures are being tamed and have been tamed by mankind, but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be."

So, it will be my mission to stop any gossiping or negative talk I do about others.  Just think, you don't like people gossiping or speaking negative of you or your family so don't do it about others.  We all have our faults so maybe we can focus on correcting those faults before criticizing others!

No comments:

Post a Comment