Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Be careful little eyes what you see

Oh, be careful little eyes what you see.  For the Father up above is looking down with love; oh, be careful little eyes what you see.  Addie Lee sings this song a lot at our house.  It also says be careful little ears what you hear, little hands what you do and little feet where you go.  The other day I walked into my room and found this:
She was sitting in my bed with my glasses on, "reading" her Cinderella book.  She also loves to put on the same color dress as me, talk to her dolls like I speak to her, etc.  Kids are such sponges.  They want to be just like us.  Therefore, it is our duty to set the example.  We should not ignore them to play on our phone or the internet, we should not watch unlimited amounts of television while they are "playing" by themselves, we should not allow them to hear ugly or inappropriate things come from our mouth.  We must guard our mouth and our actions and they want to be just like us.

It warmed my heart that she had this on.  It's a way for her to show how much she loves me without speaking the words.  I am blessed to have two wonderful children.  It is our (Dustin and my) responsibility to train them up in the ways of the Lord.

On Sunday we heard from Deuteronomy 6 which gives this commandment in verse 5: "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength."  It continues in verse 7: "You shall teach them (the words commanded) diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up."

Wow, what a large commandment we have been given as parents. I know I fail at this every day but I am trying and am improving.  It is my prayer that I would help my children hear, say, do and go where God wants us to go.  So, as parents, we need to be careful what we say and the actions we take because we are training these little precious children to do just as we do.

This is not a post directed at anyone but myself but I thought it might encourage others.

No comments:

Post a Comment